Man City, Liverpool play out to epic draw

You are currently viewing Man City, Liverpool play out to epic draw
  • Post published:March 10, 2024

Arsenal remained at the top of the Premier League after an epic 1-1 draw between Liverpool and Manchester City at Anfield on Sunday.

With ten games remaining, Alexis Mac Allister’s penalty negated John Stones’ first goal, putting Liverpool behind the Gunners on goal differential and City one point behind in third.

Johan Klopp and Pep Guardiola’s final Premier League matchup did not let down as Liverpool, despite being severely injured, came back with a thrilling second half.

If Klopp’s team fails to end City’s run of three straight titles, they may look back on their many opportunities to win a vital match.

Even though City hasn’t triumphed in front of an Anfield crowd since 2003, they had a late chance to win when Jeremy Doku struck the post.

With eight straight league wins to seize the lead, Arsenal emerged victorious from the weekend’s action with a share of the spoils. However, their next league game is on March 31 at City.

Alongside Andy Robertson, Mohamed Salah was the only player fit enough to start for Liverpool; Alisson Becker, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Ibrahima Konate, and Diogo Jota were all sidelined by injuries.

Kevin De Bruyne found gaps in the defence early on, testing the mettle of Liverpool’s flimsy defence.

His bold attempt to chip Caoimhin Kelleher went just wide, and then the Irish keeper parried a driving long-range effort from De Bruyne.

With Salah and Jota out of the picture, Darwin Nunez had to lead Liverpool offensively.

However, for the opening forty-five minutes, the Uruguayan kept straying offside.

Nunez had strayed during the build-up, thus even though Luis Diaz had the ball in the net for the home team, the goal was disallowed.

Both goals were from basic defensive mistakes in a highly anticipated match between two of the greatest teams in the world.

A De Bruyne corner took Liverpool off guard, and Stones’ attempt was too strong for Kelleher to stop.

With a tremendous comeback, Klopp’s team led by half at the half.

Diaz shot inches wide from the boundary, and Dominik Szoboszlai headed a decent chance over.

However, Liverpool had to wait only a few seconds into the second half for their equaliser, which the visitors presented to them nicely wrapped.

Ederson rounded out Nunez after he pounced on Nathan Ake’s short backpass.

Despite the lengthy wait for Ederson’s medical attention, which ultimately resulted in Stefan Ortega replacing him, Mac Allister remained composed and skillfully struck his penalty goal into the top corner.

Liverpool then surged forward as City was left clutching on, their confidence restored.

At the hour mark, Salah and Robertson were introduced, and the Egyptian almost made an immediate impression.

When Salah passed to Diaz, he was clean through, but he sliced the great opportunity wide.

Before Salah missed the target again, Kyle Walker made a last-minute save to deny Diaz.

Nunez then attempted a shot, and Ortega had to go off his line quickly to block it.

In response, Guardiola sacrificed Kevin De Bruyne and Julian Alvarez, which greatly infuriated the Belgian, who expressed his disappointment to his manager.

But the arrival of Jeremy Doku and Mateo Kovacic helped to steady the City ship and gave them a chance to even steal it.

Virgil van Dijk kept Erling Haaland remarkably quiet, but in the last minute of the 90, he found Doku, who shot off the inside of the post.

Doku’s high foot caught Mac Allister, and, eight minutes into added time, Liverpool were yelling for a second penalty.

However, neither VAR nor referee Michael Oliver wanted to leave the championship race hanging in the balance.

Photo by Backpagepix