Mutizwa salvages a point for Arrows

You are currently viewing Mutizwa salvages a point for Arrows
Golden Arrows striker Knox Mutizwa
  • Post published:May 6, 2017

Kaizer Chiefs and Golden Arrows were forced to settle for a point each after playing out to a 1-1 draw at the FNB Stadium on Saturday, writes DYLAN APPOLIS.

Steve Komphela’s side came into the match off the back of a 2-2 draw with SuperSport United, and will be without the services of Joseph Molangoane through suspension after picking up his fourth yellow card against SuperSport.

Arrows came into the match in 10th place after suffering two consecutive defeats against Polokwane City and Mamelodi Sundowns respectively.

The Glamour Boys got off to a good start and saw most of the possession on the ball in the opening exchanges of the match, however they struggled to create any clear-cut opportunities at goal.

At the other end, Golden Arrows were comfortable enough to sit back and soak up the surge from Chiefs, in the hopes of catching them out on the counter-attack.

Chiefs had their first chance of the match in the 31st minute when Bernard Parker was picked out by Gustavo Paez, before firing his header just wide of the crossbar.

The visitors also struggled to create chances, but they went close in the 40th minute when Nduduzo Sibiya broke into the box. However, Itumeleng Khune rushed off his line to deny the winger.

Abafana Bes’thende nearly opened the scoring in the 40th minute as Nduduza Sibiya made his way into the area to attempt a shot at goal, but the onrushing Amakhosi shot-stopper Itumeleng Khune was on hand to deny the winger.

Neither side could break the deadlock as the match went into the half-time interval locked at 0-0.

Amakhosi came close to opening the scoring in the 63rd minute when Henrick Ekstein fired a shot at goal from the edge of the area, but his strike flew inches wide of the crossbar.

Chiefs eventually took the lead in the 77th minute as substitute Ryan Moon latched on to a ball inside the area before firing his effort past Arrows shot-stopper Nkosingiphile Gumede from close range to make it 1-0.

However, Arrows levelled matters in the 90th minute when Knox Mutizwa headed home from close range, as the visiting side walked away with a point at the FNB Stadium.

PHOTO: Samuel Shivambu/BackpagePix