Wits beat Chippa to remain top

You are currently viewing Wits beat Chippa to remain top
  • Post published:December 21, 2018

Bidvest Wits maintained their place at the top of the Absa Premiership standings after claiming a 2-0 victory over Chippa United at Bidvest Stadium on Friday evening, writes DYLAN APPOLIS.

The Clever Boys came into this encounter off the back of a narrow 2-1 victory over Baroka in the previous Absa Premiership encounter last week.

By contrast, the Chili Boys are winless in their last seven league games following their 2-2 draw against Polokwane City in their last PSL encounter.

The home side got off to a good start and threatened early on, while Chippa were still trying to find their rhythm in the match.

The first chance of the game fell to Terrence Dzvukamanja in the third minute when he latched on to a cross from Elias Pelembe before getting a header away at goal, but his effort was blocked by the Chippa defence.

Thabang Monare conjured up the next chance for Wits a minute later when he unleashed a strike from the edge of the area, but his shot took a deflection before going out for a corner.

Wits started to dominate proceedings as the game went on, while the Chili sat back in the hope of catching the home side out on the counter.

The home side were then awarded a penalty in the 26th minute when Dzvukamanja was brought down in the area. Lehlohonolo Majoro stepped up and made no mistake from the spot-kick.

Majoro’s confidence grew after opening the scoring and he had another go at goal when he held off a defender before turning his man to get his shot away, unfortunately Daniel Akpeyi did well to deny the Wits striker and keep the scoreline at 1-0.

Vuyo Mere nearly doubled his side’s lead with three minute left till the break, but saw his shot deflected out for a corner from the resulting effort.

However, the home side managed to hold their one-goal lead over Chippa as the game went into half time 1-0 in favour of Wits.

Chippa came out to the second half better than the first as they continued to search for an equalising goal.

Dzvukamanja should have doubled his side’s lead in the 53rd minute after making a darting run towards goal. He managed to get a clear chance at goal, but blazed his effort over the target.

Akpeyi came to his side’s rescue two minutes later when he produced a fine save at the far post to deny Deon Hotto’s goal-bound header.

Monare then made it 2-0 when he showed his composure to curl his free kick past Akpeyi after Cole Alexander was brought down outside the area.

Hotto had a great chance to extend his side’s lead even further after 74 minutes, but the Wits forward could only find the side netting with his strike at the far post.

Pelembe nearly made it 3-0 in favour of the home side when he fired an effort from a difficult angle, but Akpeyi did well to tip his effort over the target.

The Chili Boys pushed forward in the closing stages of the game in search of a goal, but Wits managed to hold on to their lead until the final whistle to claim all three points at the Bidvest Stadium.