Lakay fires Sundowns past Maritzburg

You are currently viewing Lakay fires Sundowns past Maritzburg
  • Post published:September 21, 2019

A late goal from Lyle Lakay helped Mamelodi Sundowns claim a 2-1 victory over Maritzburg United at the Lucas Moripe Stadium on Saturday, reports DYLAN APPOLIS.

Pitso Mosimane’s side came into this encounter off the back of a 3-1 aggregate defeat by Tshwane rivals SuperSport United in the MTN8 semi-final encounter over their two-legged fixture.

Meanwhile, Eric Tinkler’s men are yet claim their first win in the league following their 1-0 defeat by Black Leopards at the Harry Gwala Stadium in their previous league match.

The last time the two sides met, Sundowns came out on top after claiming a 2-1 victory over the Team of Choice at the Harry Gwala Stadium on 12 March, 2019.

The game got off to a slow start with both sides trying to find their rhythm in the opening exchanges.

Sundowns had a chance to take the lead after 11 minutes when Jose Ali Meza made an excellent solo run on the break before playing the ball back to Themba Zwane, who hit the ball first off but his attempt sailed wide of the target.

Denis Onyango came to his side’s rescue two minutes later when he showed good reflexes to deny Thabiso Kutumela’s effort at goal.

At the other end, Maritzburg keeper Richard Ofori made a good save in the 15th minute to deny Zwane, who tried his luck from a tight angle.

Gaston Sirino should have put his side ahead in the 18th minute but his curling effort sailed over the target.

Sundowns continued to press forward after 25 minutes of play as Hlompho Kekana saw his effort sail over the crossbar from the edge of the box.

Ofori found himself in some trouble as Meza closed in on goal down the flank before getting his shot away, but blazed his effort over the target.

Sundowns eventually took the lead two minutes later when Sirino he sent his man the wrong way before beating Ofori to find the net.

Mesa had a chance to double Sundowns’ lead with three minutes left until half time, but Ofori did well to make the save.

However, Sundowns held on to their one-goal lead over Maritzburg as they went into the interval.

The Team of Choice got off to a good start in the second half and managed to level matters in the 55th minute when Siyanda Xulu found the back of the net with his headed effort.

Sundowns were dealt a major blow three minutes later when Mabunda was forced off the field through injury and subsequently replaced by Rivaldo Coetzee.

Thapelo Morena should have doubled his side’s lead in the 59th minute when he skillfully skippered past his man and managed to open himself up to get the shot away, but saw his strike shave the upright.

Mosimane made his second change of the game after 61 minutes when Phakamani Mahlambi came on to replace Sibusiso Vilakazi.

Tebogo Langerman kept the scoreline level at 1-1 in the 72nd minute when he made a good run back for a perfectly timed tackle to clear the ball from danger.

Maritzburg had a chance to take the lead for the first time in the game after 77 minutes, but Onyango made easy work of their shot from range.

Tinkler made a change of his own four minutes later when Mxolisi Kunene replaced Daniel Morgan, while Sundowns brought on Lyle Lakay to replace Meza moments later.

Sundowns managed to grab the lead in stoppage time after Lakay’s first-time volley found the net from outside the box.

However, Sundowns managed to hold on to their 2-1 lead over Maritzburg to collect all three points at the Lucas Moripe Stadium.