Man City put three past Everton to go 10 points clear

You are currently viewing Man City put three past Everton to go 10 points clear
  • Post published:February 18, 2021

Manchester City secured their 17th straight victory after cruising to a comfortable 3-1 victory over Everton in the Premier League at the Goodison Park Stadium on Wednesday evening.

Pep Guardiola made three alterations to his side that beat Tottenham Hotspur over the past weekend as Ilkay Gundogan, John Stones and Oleksandr Zinchenko were dropped from the starting lineup, with Ruben Dias returning from illness to the starting XI alongside Riyad Mahrez and Kyle Walker.

The Blues got off to a good start and forced a save out of Jordan Pickford in the third minute when João Cancelo unleashed a strike from distance, but the Everton goalkeeper did well to make the save.

Everton were dealt a major blow in the 15th minute when Yerra Mina was forced off the field through injury and subsequently replaced by Seamus Coleman.

The visitors eventually broke the deadlock in the 32nd minute when Riyad Mahrez crossed the ball into the path of Phil Foden, who drilled it hard and low to beat Pickford after taking a big deflection off of Coleman.

City’s lead lasted only six minutes as Everton levelled matters after Coleman found Lucas Digne at the far post, who fired his strike against the post, with the rebound coming off Richarlison’s knee to make it 1-1.

Man City had a good opportunity to retake the lead with five minutes to the break, but Rodri saw his shot blocked by Keane before the deflection fell kindly for Foden, who went for another first-time shot on the volley low down – but Pickford denied the goalscorer as the game went into the break locked at 1-1.

Pickford was called into action early in the second half as he got down well to deny Bernado Silva’s goal-bound strike before Sigurdsson drew a save out of Ederson two minutes later.

The visitors managed to take the lead in the 63rd minute when Silva set up Mahrez on the edge of the box before the Algerian found the far corner of the net to beat the outstretched Pickford.

Man City grabbed their third goal of the game after 77 minutes when Walker started a one-touch move as Silva ran off Sigurdsson before taking a steadying touch to curl his effort into the bottom corner.

Guardiola’s men managed to hold on to their 3-1 lead until the final whistle to walk away with all three points at Goodison Park.