Wits held by Horoya in Caf Confed Cup opener

You are currently viewing Wits held by Horoya in Caf Confed Cup opener
  • Post published:December 1, 2019

Bidvest Wits were forced to settle for a point after playing to a 0-0 draw against Horoya in their Caf Confederation Cup Group C opener at Dobsonville Stadium on Sunday, writes DYLAN APPOLIS.

The Clever Boys qualified for the second tier continental competition for the very first time following their 8-1 aggregate thumping of UD Songo in the playoff round.

Meanwhile, Horoya qualified for the group stages with a 5-2 aggregate win over Kenyan side Bandari, with the Guinean club having lost out on a place in this season’s Caf Champions League group stages following defeat to JS Kabylie.

Wits got off to a good start and almost broke the deadlock in the ninth minute when Haashim Domingo attempted a strike but blazed his effort high and wide to the left of the target.

Horoya had a chance of their own moments later, but Baffour Kyei saw his low drive sail wide of the left upright.

Sameehg Doutie should have opened the scoring three minutes later when he produced a left-footed volley, but was unable to direct it on target.

Wits continued to dominate proceedings after 36 minutes as Sifiso Hlanti steered his header wide of the upright.

The home side came close to finding the net after 41st minutes of play but Thabang Monare unleashed his right-footed strike but was unable to find the target.

The game went into the half-time break with the score line locked at 0-0.

Agyei should’ve handed Horoya the lead early in the second half, but saw his left-footed shot sail off target as the score line remained goalless.

Horoya made the first change of the game when they introduced Makambo, who replaced Agyei.

At the other end, Wits made a change of their own five minutes later when Deon Hotto came in to replace Doutie before Gift Motupa was brought on for Macuphu a minute later.

Ricardo Goss came to his sides rescue in the 77th minute when he got down low to deny Abdoulaye Paye Camara’s low effort at goal.

The visitors made their second change of the game a minute later when Kutinyu entered the game and replaced Kyei.

The Clever Boys made their final change with nine minutes left to play when Molahlehi Khunyedi came on to replace Terrence Dzvukamanja.

Horoya made their final substitution late in stoppage time when they introduced Agogo, who replaced Bancé.

Both sides pressed forward in the closing stage of the game but were unable to find the winning goal and were forced to settle for a draw in their Group C opener at the Dobsonville Stadium.