Former World Cup-winning Springbok Kobus Wiese has for the first time spoken out publicly since being hospitalised after a massive heart attack last week.
Last Tuesday, the 56-year-old former lock was rushed to hospital, where he underwent a procedure to have an intravascular stent inserted into a narrowed vein.
Since he was admitted, well wishes have poured in from far and wide, with Wiese’s former teammate and great friend, Toks van der Linde, giving constant updates on his condition.
‘Kobus was very lucky, but he is such a strong character that I know he will pull through. But this is a big wake-up call for everyone,’ Van der Linde told SARugbymag.co.za last Thursday.
Now, speaking publicly for the first time since his health scare, Wiese admitted to being scared for his life.
‘It was a bit unexpected and a bit of a scare, but I’m very well,’ Wiese said in an interview with CapeTalk‘s Lester Kiewit on Monday.
‘Thanks to everyone for the well wishes and the caring, it’s much appreciated.
‘Thanks to the medical staff at the Paarl Mediclinic and then the Panorama Hospital, who were world class and incredibly professional.’
Wiese confirmed the cause of his heart attack was due to one torn artery and not because of bad eating habits and cholesterol.
‘I carry a few kilos too many and I will see if I can shed a few pounds –but this incident was not about cholesterol or blocked arteries. I’m not one of those guys who get on a scale every second day, so I don’t have an issue with that,’ he explained.
‘It was one artery that somehow got a little tear on the inside. That resulted in slow bleeding which eventually formed a blood clot,’ Wiese said. ‘It can happen to anybody but I’m thankful for this second chance. I’ve very grateful.’
Photo: Gallo Images
You may also like