We look back at the South African players who featured for their respective clubs in the ninth round of the 2020-21 French Top 14 season.
– Bordeaux scored a last-minute try to secure a dramatic 30-29 win over hosts Castres. Lock Jandre Marais and hooker Joseph Dweba played for Bordeaux, who moved up to seventh in the standings. Castres, who remain in 11th position, had Rory Kockott at scrumhalf.
– Rynhardt Elstadt and his Toulouse teammates ground out a 22-16 victory over Pau to move back up to second on the log. Prop Lourens Adriaanse scrummed downed for Pau.
– Toulon flexed their muscles with a stunning 38-9 bonus-point win against Agen on the road. World Cup-winning Springbok lock Eben Etzebeth started for the winners, but was subbed off in the 46th minute. Toulon’s return to form has moved them up to fourth on the table.
– Montpellier slumped to yet another defeat, this time losing 29-20 to a Bayonne side that conceded three yellow cards. But Montpellier, featuring Cobus Reinach and Jan Serfontein, couldn’t capitalise on Bayonne’s ill-discipline. Montpellier are now 11th on the log.
– Racing 92, with No 8 Antonie Claassen in their ranks, scored a last-minute try to snatch a 23-19 win from the jaws of defeat. The win keeps them fifth in the standings. Flank Retief Marais was on duty for Brive, who is languishing in second-last position on the log.
– Gebrandt Grobler and James Hall formed part of the Stade Français side that shocked log-leaders La Rochelle 35-13 in an ill-disciplined clash that produced four yellow cards. Flank Wiaan Liebenberg and wing Dillyn Leyds turned out for La Rochelle, but while both players played until the final minute, Leyds was one of the four players who copped a yellow card.
Photo: Getty Images
You may also like