SABC board chairperson Bongumusa Makhathini admits that they are in need of financial help in the wake of confirming a joint exclusive partnership with CSA for the 2018 T20 Cricket League.
It was announced on Tuesday that the partnership has afforded SABC exclusive official broadcast rights for the sub-Saharan region – and is covered by a memorandum of understanding for the next three years.
Despite the new deal being announced, SABC admitted to struggling financially.
‘Our financial situation‚ I’m not going to lie‚ it is in a very‚ very critical state. If we don’t get the financial help‚ come November, we are going to struggle‚’ said Makhathini in an interview with TimesLIVE.
This was the answer when asked about their struggle to pay salaries, which was revealed to the National Assembly earlier on Tuesday.
‘We are in a very financially dire situation and it is the reason why we pushed very hard to get the turnaround approved by the board,’ he said.
‘We now have taken the portfolio committee through this turnaround so they understand the comprehensive overall things that we are driving to get the SABC on a better footing.’
This brings into question how the league will attract big-money players, get sponsors on board and how they will run such a financially demanding event.
You may also like