New Zealand cancelled their tour of Pakistan over security concerns just minutes after the first match was due to start on Friday.
The Black Caps were set to play three ODIs and five T20Is – their first in Pakistan since 2003.
“New Zealand Cricket informed us they had been alerted to some security alert and have unilaterally decided to postpone the series,” the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) said in a statement.
NZC chief executive David White said it was simply not possible to continue with the tour given the advice he was receiving.
“I understand this will be a blow for the PCB, who have been wonderful hosts, but player safety is paramount and we believe this is the only responsible option.”
NZC would not comment on the details of the security threat and arrangements are now being made for the team’s departure.
International cricket in Pakistan was suspended in the aftermath of terror attacks against the Sri Lankan side in 2009, but has slowly revived over the past two years.
Security had been tight in the buildup to the New Zealand series.
Photo: EPA/Sohail Shahzad
You may also like