Banyana Banyana duo Thembi Kgatlana and Refiloe Jane have been shortlisted for the African Women’s Player of the Year award.
Kgatlana and Jane played a crucial role in guiding South Africa to the 2018 Africa Women’s Cup of Nations (AWCN) final where they narrowly missed out on claiming the trophy after their defeat by Nigeria late last year.
Following their exploits in the AWCN, Banyana qualified for the Fifa Women’s World Cup finals for the first time in the history of South African women’s football.
They competed in the 2019 global tournament, hosted by France, where they failed to make it past the group stages after finishing fourth.
African Women’s Player of the Year nominees:
· Ajara Nchout (Cameroon & Valerenga )
· Ange N’Guessan (Côte d’Ivoire & Tenerife)
· Asisat Oshoala (Nigeria & Barcelona)
· Chiamaka Nnadozie (Nigeria & Rivers Angels)
· Elizabeth Addo (Ghana & Jiangsu Suning)
· Gabrielle Ouguene (Cameroon & CSKA Moscow)
· Refiloe Jane (South Africa & AC Milan)
· Tabitha Chawinga (Malawi & Jiangsu Suning)
· Thembi Kgatlana (South Africa & Beijing Phoenix FC)
· Uchenna Kanu (Nigeria & Southeastern Fire)
You may also like