Faf du Plessis and Dané van Niekerk were named Men’s Cricketer of the Year and Women’s Cricketer of the Year, respectively, at Saturday’s Cricket South Africa awards.
It was a first for the Standard Bank Proteas captain and a remarkable display of consistency at the top level by Van Niekerk, who has won the award for three of the last four years. She was also honoured by her peers as the Women’s Players’ Player of the Year.
Du Plessis was also named ODI Cricketer of the Year and Players’ Player of the Year.
Quinton de Kock was named Test Cricketer of the Year and David Miller T20I Cricketer of the Year.
Kagiso Rabada claimed the Fans’ Player of the Year award. The Delivery of the Year accolade went to Vernon Philander for his dismissal of Pakistan batsman Azhar Ali during January’s third Test at the Wanderers.
‘Faf and Dané have both had very good years both as contributors in their specific disciplines and also in the leadership qualities they bring to our two senior national sides,’ said CSA chief executive officer Thabang Moroe.
‘Both our Proteas and our Women’s Proteas are well ranked both as teams and individuals across the various formats.
‘I must particularly highlight the Proteas first-ever away ODI bilateral series win in Australia. It is quite remarkable that over the past few years Faf has led the Proteas to home-and-away ODI Series wins over Australia as well as our first-ever home Test series win against the same opponents.
‘Just how much Dane means to our women’s team became evident when she was ruled out of action for a considerable period of time through injury.
‘Our domestic cricket remains blessed with great talents and congratulations to all the winners in those categories as well. I warmly congratulate all our winners, both at international and domestic level, and I also wish to take this opportunity to acknowledge our umpires, grounds staff and scorers, too.’
- Men’s Cricketer of the Year: Faf du Plessis
- Women’s Cricketer of the Year: Dané van Niekerk
- Test Cricketer of the Year: Quinton de Kock
- ODI Cricketer of the Year: Faf du Plessis
- T20 International Cricketer of the Year: David Miller
- SA Players’ Player of the Year: Faf du Plessis
- Fans’ Player of the Year: Kagiso Rabada
- KFC Streetwise Award: Dale Steyn (SA’s leading Test wicket-taker of all time)
- Delivery of the Year: Vernon Philander
- International Men’s Newcomer of the Year: Rassie van der Dussen
- International Women’s Newcomer of the Year: Tumi Sekhukhune
- Women’s Players’ Player of the Year: Dane van Niekerk
- Women’s ODI Cricketer of the Year: Marizanne Kapp
- Women’s T20 Cricketer of the Year: Shabnim Ismail
- Four-Day Franchise Series Cricketer of the Season: Dane Piedt (Cape Cobras)
- Momentum One-Day Cup Cricketer of the Season: Junior Dala (Titans)
- CSA T20 Challenge Player of the Season: Bjorn Fortuin (Lions)
- Mzansi Super League Impact Player of the Year: Rassie van der Dussen (Jozi Stars)
- Mzansi Super League Young Player of the Year: Lutho Sipamla (Tshwane Spartans)
- Coach of the Season: Enoch Nkwe (Lions)
- Domestic Players’ Player of the Season: Bjorn Fortuin (Lions)
- Domestic Newcomer of the Season: Sinethemba Qeshile (Warriors)
- Africa T20 Cup Player of the Tournament: Marco Marais (Border)
- SACA Most Valuable Player Award: Dane Piedt (Cape Cobras)
- Umpires’ Umpire of the Year: Bongani Jele
- CSA Umpire of the Year: Shaun George
- CSA Scorers Association of the Year: Gauteng Cricket Scorers Association
Photo: Gallo Images
You may also like