Peter Sagan won a dramatic uphill sprint finish on stage five of the Tour de France on Wednesday.
The world champion beat Sonny Colbrelli and Philippe Gilbert to claim his second stage win of the race and 11th of his career.
In his post-stage interview, Sagan said was a little bit lucky and that his teammates got him in a good position before Sky took over at the front.
‘It was up, down, left, right… I liked it,’ he said of the stage’s closing stages. ‘It was a good parcours [stage profile].’
Belgium’s Greg van Avermaet came seventh to retain the yellow jersey, extending his overall lead with a two-second bonus during the stage.
Stage 5 result:
1. Peter Sagan (Svk/Bora-Hansgrohe) 4hrs 48mins 6sec
2. Sonny Colbrelli (Ita/Bahrain – Merida) same time
3. Philippe Gilbert (Bel/Quick-Step Floors)
4. Alejandro Valverde (Spa/Movistar)
5. Julian Alaphilippe (Fra/Quick-Step Floors)
6. Daniel Martin (Ire/UAE Team Emirates)
7. Greg Van Avermaet (Bel/BMC Racing)
8. Soren Kragh (Den/Sunweb)
9. Andrea Pasqualon (Ita/Wanty – Groupe Gobert)
10. Vincenzo Nibali (Ita/Bahrain – Merida)
General classification after Stage 5
1. Greg van Avermaet (Bel/BMC Racing) 13hrs 33mins 56secs
2. Tejay van Garderen (US/BMC Racing) +2 secs
3. Philippe Gilbert (Bel/Quick-Step Floors) +3secs
4. Geraint Thomas (GB/Team Sky) +5secs
5. Julian Alaphilippe (Fra/Quick-Step Floors) +6secs
6. Bob Jungels (Lux/Quick-Step Floors) +9secs
7. Tom Dumoulin (Ned/Sunweb) +13secs
8. Soren Kragh Andersen (Den/Sunweb) same time
9. Rigoberto Uran (Col/EF Education First) +37secs
10. Rafal Majka (Pol/Bora – Hansgrohe) +52secs