PSL chairman Irvin Khoza has revealed that a deal which would see Moroka Swallows purchase the PSL status of Free State Stars is far from complete.
Khoza was speaking at a hastily arranged press conference on Wednesday where he shed light on what many believed was a done deal.
A consortium led by Gauteng MEC Panyaza Lesufi was thought to have struck a R50-million deal for Free State Stars PSL status but the PSL have now revealed that no deal has been presented to the committee for approval.
‘It’s is very much important to explain one or two things,’ Khoza said on Wednesday.
‘As we speak we don’t know who these people in the trust are. We only know Mr Lesufi. It’s is difficult to compete in the league because of the increase in salary demand and the expenses to organise a match.
‘As it stands there is no deal between the two parties, we are still awaiting a report from them.’
Khoza then attempted to clarify media reports suggesting the PSL have given the takeover the green light.
‘For what it is worth the comments that have been made about Swallows buying Free State Stars are incorrect.
‘No transaction has been placed before the League.
‘If the intention of the trust is to buy the club and seek a name change- that is a matter to be dealt with when the time comes. As it stands, no application has been made.’
Khoza did not mince his words in rebuking the conduct of those trying to work out a move for Swallows back into the top flight.
‘We are disappointed because they let the cat out of the bag prematurely.
‘I spoke to Mr Lesufi and he apologised. I hope they will conclude it this week. Because we can’t wait too long.’
The PSL then set out what they require and advised the consortium that they have just this week to conclude the deal and the necessary paperwork.
‘Our position as the League, right now, is that we await a full report from the parties
‘If by the end of the week, we do not have clarity then there will be nothing for us to consider.
‘If we we don’t have clarity by the end of the week, there will be no transaction, change of club or anything like that.
‘I want to appeal to MEC Lesufi that together with whoever he’s involved with in the consortium to finalise this as soon as possible.’
Khoza then concluded with a warning to the MEC.
‘We hope that Ntate Lesufi is listening together with the people of the trust he’s involved in.’